Voluntary Artists Studio, Thimphu, popularly known as VAST was set up in 1998 by a group of professional artists as a not-for-profit organisation with the primary aim to provide opportunity to the Bhutanese youth to participate and develop their potential artistic talents especially in contemporary art, develop sense of social responsibilities through community services and also to explore art as a vocation.
VAST Bhutan pursues these goals by:
- Providing art classes to the interested youth.
- Organizing art camps for youth to appreciate art and learn values.
- Initiating programmes related to community services to learn the art-of-giving.
- Facilitating the participation of young artist in national and international art exchange programmes, festivals, and exhibitions.
- Providing a place for youths with personal problems to use art as a therapy and help them develop life skills to face the challenges.
VAST Bhutan grew in its reach and influence in the Country and in 2014 became a Civil Society Organisation.
A creative Bhutanese society, nurtured for and by art, that enriches lives.
- To explore and promote contemporary art.
- To promote social values, social responsibility and life skills through art.
- To further artistic expression and appreciation.
Our Core Values
- Socially Responsible
Initially, in the year 1998, a group of artist;Kama Wangdi, Phurba Thinley Sherpa, Jigme Lotey and Pema Dorji came together to create a platform to provide opportunity to young art enthusiasts. Together they formed Voluntary Artist Studio of Thimphu, popularly known as VAST. The name VAST was chosen by Nim Karma Sherpa, a very good friend of Kama Wangdi. A year later Jampel Cheda joined the group and Jigme Lotey and Pema Dorji left the group to pursue their own endeavours. Ever since then, Kama Wangdi, Phurba Thinley Sherpa and Jampel Cheda, who had the foresight to understand the invaluable benefit and importance of contemporary art and general art education has been keeping VAST Bhutan up and running. VAST Bhutan became a registered CSO in 2014 under their leadership.